From Coach Pete: If I were asked what characteristics would make a great teammate, everything Damian is about would be my answer. Damian is humble, hard working, intelligent, and selfless. The fitness world is full of ego as well as loud personalities and bold claims. Damian is none of those things, his personality is refreshing and extremely coachable. His performance on just about everything is exceptional but you would never know because he’ll never brag on himself. Damian consistently finds himself among the best performers in the gym because he shows up, gets to work, and listens far more than he speaks on a daily basis. Damian’s best characteristics have nothing to do with fitness though. He is genuinely a great husband, father, and friend and is an amazing role model for our community. Thank you for for being a huge part of why our community is so great!
1 – What was your motivation to join Roaster Barbell?
- I had gotten out of shape and was looking to join a gym, I was never really sold on CrossFit but wanted something with structure, schedule, and accountability. I was living in Berea, so I searched for a local gym; after finding Roaster’s website, I reached out to Pete. In talking with Pete and seeing his experience (education) in exercise science/coaching, it made Roaster stand up above the others.
2 – What is your why? What gets you out of bed in the morning?
- Family – whether providing through work or leading by example, my family is always at the root of those decisions. I take great pride in everything I do and am constantly striving to put forth the best version of me.
3 – How does your training improve your life outside of the gym?
- It has also given me the energy to stay active with my son. Work and life in general can be draining, but it is great having the energy to chase after and play with my 2 year old, even after a long day. All those heavy carries pay off now when halfway through a walk my son insists on being carried home.
4 – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- No set path, just continuing to enjoy what I do and those I surround myself with.
5 – What makes Roaster Barbell different than other training you have done?
- It’s varied and a lot of movements/programming that I would never do on my own. I would never do 100 burpees for time on my own, but knowing there are others around going through the same pain makes you want to keep going. I had also never done any Olympic lifting prior to joining Roaster, so it has been a humbling yet rewarding experience working to get better at something new.
6 – What is your favorite movement in the gym?
- Concept 2 machines – I like the challenge they present mentally and how they can completely change a workout or impact other movements.
7 – What is your least favorite movement in the gym?
- Lunges – really any variation, no thanks.
8 – What is your sports background?
- Soccer, I started playing around 3 yrs old and played competitively through college.
9 – What is your proudest athletic achievement?
- I was fortunate to earn an athletic scholarship to play soccer in college, and currently still sit in the Top 10 for career games played at the school. Seeing that hard work and effort pay off with 4 years of consistent and injury free play is my proudest achievement over any other athletic accolades.
10 – What advice would you have for someone looking to start at Roaster Barbell but is unsure?
- Reach out to Pete and stop by the gym to see firsthand. Pete does a great job evaluating and scaling movements to your abilities, the community is supportive and great, there is a ton of equipment (and more being added), the list of pros can go on and on, I wish I had found Roaster sooner.
Thank you for taking the time to get to know Damian! If you would like to learn how you could become our next success story, just email Coach Pete at firstname.lastname@example.org and lets begin talking about how Roaster Barbell and help you reach your goals!